Inquest Solicitors

Ensuring a proper investigation at the Inquest.

There can be nothing worse than the sudden and unexpected death of a family member. At Broudie Jackson Canter, we have been concerned for many years about ensuring a full and proper investigation at an Inquest. These matters are not always straightforward. The process is unfamiliar and unlike any other in English Law.

We have developed a team of legal advisers who are able to help through this potentially traumatic process and we are able to advise in almost all Inquests and can guide you through the procedure.

We may be able to provide you with representation at the hearings held by the coroner. On occasions this can be paid for by Legal Aid - although the circumstances where this is available are very limited and depend on the nature of the case and your finances.


Q. How can you ensure that Inquests are dealt with properly?

In recent years, we have become increasingly involved with ensuring that Coroners fully investigate the circumstances around someone's death. One way of doing this is to insist that the Coroner provides all the documents and in appropriate cases obtains expert evidence. If you are involved in an Inquest we try to ensure that you do not become a victim of 'the system'. We want you to know that no stone is left unturned in seeking justice.

Q. Who can the department help?

We will try our best to help anyone who is involved in the Inquest procedure. These problems do not just happen to a particular type of person or a section of society. We have acted for people from a vast range of ethnic backgrounds and experiences. We do not just work on Merseyside - we have conducted Inquests in coroner's courts as far apart as Durham and Kent.

Broudie Jackson Canter have supported and advised a number of families through the inquest process:

Q. How much will it cost me?

Legal Aid is available for Inquests. When we first meet we will tell you if you qualify for help under this scheme. If you do not qualify, we will tell you about other ways to fund your case.

Q. What if English is not my first language?

We can provide an interpreter for most languages. Please tell us that you need this service when you first contact us.

Q. What if I have hearing difficulties?

We can arrange for a sign language interpreter to help. Please give us plenty of notice to arrange for this service.

Q. Where can I come and see you?

Our Inquest team is based at our Walker House office, Liverpool city centre. If it is more convenient, you can telephone us on 0151 227 1429 to arrange a visit to your house.